Thursday, January 24, 2008

To Be Titled Screenplay Part 3: 60 to 90 minute mark

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. BIANCA’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – MORNING

Brady lies asleep in bed, as Bianca shakes him to wake him up.

BRADY
What is it?

BIANCA
Get up. Put some clothes on. Go home.

Brady opens his eyes, somewhat surprised.

BRADY
What is your dad coming home from work or something?

BIANCA
No, it’s nothing like that. I’ve just been thinking for the last hour or so.

BRADY
You’ve been thinking? I’m so hungover, I don’t think I can really function right now.

BIANCA
Well okay, then go throw up in the bathroom and then go home.

BRADY
Why are you frantically attempting to kick me out of your apartment like some thirteen-year-old girl?

BIANCA
Because I’ve been thinking about how my life needs to change this year, and well… I sort of wanna call you my last big mistake Brady.

BRADY
A big mistake usually involves a longer period of time.

BIANCA
Well you can adjust it however you want. All I’m saying is that this isn’t going to work out. I mean, I’ve thought about it, and I don’t think I can honestly date someone I met in rehab.

BRADY
Really? I thought people did it all the time.

BIANCA
Not normal people.

BRADY
Who wants to be normal in this day and age?

BIANCA
I think I do. I mean, I’ve been through all the shit, now I’m ready for something sort of steady.

BRADY
I’m steady.

BIANCA
You’re suicidal.

BRADY
No, I’m over that now. I mean, that was why I asked you out for New Year’s, I’m ready to start a new.

BIANCA
Well so am I, just not in the same way that you’re thinking.

BRADY
So you’re kicking your suicidal one-night-stand to the curb all of a sudden?

BIANCA
Don’t act like it’s a bigger deal than it is, and besides, you said you were fine now.

BRADY
I thought I was. It’s just that all of this is sort of unexpected.

BIANCA
Well yeah, I know, but I think I need to start being this way, just brutally honest or whatever.

BRADY
Man, well that’s fucking stupid.

BIANCA
I know. I’m sorry. I mean, it’s just one of those things, though.

BRADY
You’re giving me yet another cliché to attempt to explain why the world is shit?

BIANCA
I’m sorry, but this is how it is sometimes. The world…

BRADY
No, you’re right. Fuck it. I don’t care about any of this. I’m about to go back for my last semester of college. I think I’m officially ready to turn into one of those other guys.

Brady rolls out of bed and starts to grab and throw his clothes on.

BIANCA
What do you mean ‘those other guys?’

BRADY
The Steve’s of the world. I’m sure they’ll accept me into their ranks.

BIANCA
Oh C’mon, I don’t want you to change like that. I just don’t want to date you at this particular crossroad in my life.

BRADY
Well what about just sex, would that be cool?

BIANCA
I’ll give it some thought.

BRADY
Fantastic.

Brady, somewhat pissed, throws his shirt over his head and storms out of the apartment. Bianca rolls over to his side of the bed and closes her eyes. “Bend to Squares” by Death Cab for Cutie plays through the next sequence.

EXT. BRADY’S HOUSE – DRIVEWAY – MORNING

Brady walks over to his car, which is packed with several items for returning to college. Sheryl stands in the doorway, waving goodbye as Brady backs out of the driveway and down the road.

INT. BRADY’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – LATE MORNING

Brady walks into his apartment to find it mostly trashed, beer cans and filled ashtrays everywhere. A few party guests lie on the floor, asleep. Brady shakes his head and walks out of the room.

INT. BRADY’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – SECONDS LATER

Brady walks into his bedroom, turns the light on, sets some bags down and falls back on his bed.

EXT. COLLEGE CAMPUS IN VERMONT – SIDEWALK – MORNING

Brady walks down the sidewalk with his headphones on, on his way to class. A few seconds pass before, he sees Candace walking in the opposite direction. She stops in front of him briefly.

CANDACE
Hey.

BRADY
Hey.

CANDACE
So how’s it going?

BRADY
I gotta get to class.

Brady walks past Candace and down the sidewalk.

INT. COLLEGE BUILDING – MORNING

Brady walks into the building to find a couple (GUY & GIRL) making-out by the stairwell. Brady gives them a quick look of disgust before walking towards the stairs.

GUY
Hey, fuck you oppressor.

Brady turns back to the guy.

BRADY
What, are we in fucking high school?

Brady walks down the stairwell and through a door.

INT. LARGE COLLEGE CLASSROOM – BACK ROW – MORNING

Brady sits in the back row of seats, waiting for class to start. A few seconds pass before VERA FOROSISKY walks in and sits down next to him. Vera is 18, pretty naïve with jet-black hair. She’s a girl who thinks she knows what she’s doing, but is really pretty clueless on most fragmented aspects of life.

VERA
Hello.

BRADY
Yeah, hey.

VERA
So I hear this class is pretty much bullshit.

BRADY
Most likely. The majority of college classes are.

VERA
Yeah, I know.
(Beat)
So what’s your major?

BRADY
What is this, freshman orientation?

VERA
No, I was just curious. Usually I just sit in classes and don’t talk to anybody, but I figured this would be the right time to start conversation, ya know, at the beginning of it all.

BRADY
I’m not much for conversation.

VERA
Why’s that?

BRADY
They eventually lead nowhere.

VERA
So you don’t think this is going anywhere.

BRADY
I know this isn’t going anywhere.

VERA
Well, okay. So did you have a rough break or something?

Brady looks over at Vera and then puts his head down on his notebook.

VERA
I guess that’s a yes.

Vera pulls out her notebook and writes something down in it as “Have a Cuppa Tea” by The Kinks plays into the next scene.

INT. BRADY’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM - AFTERNOON

Brady walks into his apartment to find Kyle and Gracie sitting on the couch, playing video games.

BRADY
How are you two back here before me?

GRACIE
My second class got cancelled.

BRADY
It’s the first day.

GRACIE
I know, weird, right?

KYLE
I skipped my second one.

BRADY
Why?

KYLE
I don’t know. I didn’t really feel like going. I mean, everyone gets a certain amount of leeway for the first week or so.

BRADY
Yeah, I guess.

Brady takes his backpack off and sits down on the couch.

GRACIE
How was your day?

BRADY
Rough.

GRACIE
I bet.

KYLE
So I was just thinking, Gracie, you were in with the in-crowd in high school, how many girls had abortions that you know of?

GRACIE
Uh wow, that’s kind of random.

KYLE
I know. It’s just… Well I always pass the clinic on my walk back, and the thought occurred to me today of all days.

GRACIE
Well, I don’t really know Kyle. I mean, it’s sort of one of those confidential things.

KYLE
Yeah, but this is like four years later. I mean, you can tell us now. No one keeps a secret for this long.

GRACIE
Well man, let me think. Jenny Logan, but all of us know that one. Brittany Deemer, and uh… Well Hannah had one senior year.

BRADY
Seriously?

GRACIE
Yeah, I thought you knew.

BRADY
I didn’t, actually.

GRACIE
Well yeah, that’s why her and Ross broke up for that month.

KYLE
Well that’s fucked up.

BRADY
Definitely. It’s weird, thinking about somebody in a completely different light four years later.

GRACIE
Not really. I mean, would it have really mattered to you if you did know?

BRADY
No, I guess not.

GRACIE
Well then there ya go.

BRADY
So uh, let’s change the subject. I don’t want to think about my tainted high school crushes anymore.

KYLE
I thought you said it didn’t matter.

BRADY
It doesn’t. It’s just… Well what part of rough day don’t you understand?

KYLE
Uh okay, well some good news, Ellie and them are having a kegger on Friday.

BRADY
And why is that good news?

KYLE
Well it’s something to do.

GRACIE
Exactly.

BRADY
Candace will probably be there, and Zack will most likely drive in for it, because we never make any new fucking friends.

GRACIE
Well I thought you didn’t really care about any of this shit anymore.

KYLE
Yeah, me too. I thought you were over it because of Bianca and everything.

BRADY
Well that was just a pleasant façade. Bianca and I aren’t anything.

GRACIE
What, did she break up with you, and you’ve just been refraining from telling us until now?

BRADY
No. I wish it were like that. I could deal with a break-up. She just basically said that she didn’t want me as a part of her new life, rehab free and all.

KYLE
Well so much for the concept of a support group.

BRADY
We all can’t abide by the buddy system Kyle. Some of us need to take on bigger things.

KYLE
Well just because you don’t have some hot anorexic case backing you up anymore, doesn’t mean you can’t get drunk and shitty on Friday.

BRADY
Something tells me I won’t really be in the mood for it then.

GRACIE
Well how is that different from any other Friday night?

BRADY
It really isn’t at all.

GRACIE
So don’t worry about it then.

BRADY
I’ll try my best.

Brady stands up from the couch and walks out of the room.

GRACIE
So I thought he was better.

KYLE
Denial’s one of the steps, I think.

GRACIE
Oh, I get it now.

INT. BRADY’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – NIGHT

Brady lies on his bed with his cellphone to his ear. After a few seconds, Bianca picks up on the other line.

BIANCA (V.O.)
Hello?

BRADY
Hey, it’s Brady. I wasn’t sure if you deleted me from your phone so soon or…

BIANCA (V.O.)
What do you want?

BRADY
I don’t know. I guess I just wanted to talk or whatever.

BIANCA (V.O.)
You called me just to talk?

BRADY
Yeah, isn’t that what people do sometimes?

BIANCA (V.O.)
Not really. Not anymore. They text usually now.

BRADY
Well that’s fucking stupid.

BIANCA (V.O.)
You say that about everything. Now, what’s up?

BRADY
Uh actually, I called because I kind of needed a favor.

BIANCA (V.O.)
What?

BRADY
What are you doing Friday?

BIANCA (V.O.)
I don’t know. It depends. There are a lot of options at this point.

BRADY
Well okay, my friend Ellie’s sort of having this party, and I know Candace is gonna be there, probably Zack too, and I need you, to pretend or ya know, just to be there.

BIANCA (V.O.)
Fuck man, I can’t do this. I mean, I can’t make this a habit. New Year’s was one thing, we were both off the wagon, but I’ve been making new friends, being cool with a bunch of different people. I don’t think I’m quite ready to jump back into your strange world where your attempted suicide isn’t a big deal just so long as you have a girlfriend.

BRADY
Well, it seems a little weird for me to have one one week and not have one the next.

BIANCA (V.O.)
Not really. I mean, Candace knows you’re not the steady kind of boyfriend anyway, that’s why she cheated on you.

BRADY
I was beyond steady.

BIANCA (V.O.)
Well whatever. You know where I’m going with all of this. Don’t make it a habit of calling me. I mean, if you’re in town, hanging out, getting ripped, maybe then I’ll hang out, but I just can’t drive up there Brady. I can’t be that person.

BRADY
Well fuck… You’re a real bummer Bianca, you know that?

BIANCA (V.O.)
You just don’t wanna admit that I’m perfect and plaguing your every thought.

BRADY
You’re not perfect. I just figured you’d be available, but whatever, I have four more days. I’ll find someone else.

BIANCA (V.O.)
Okay, you have fun with that.

BRADY
Oh, don’t worry, I will.

BIANCA (V.O.)
So, are you going to hang up or…?

BRADY
You didn’t delete me from your phone, did you?

BIANCA (V.O.)
Not yet, but I’m deeply considering such an option at this point.

BRADY
Well, so am I.

BIANCA (V.O.)
Well okay Brady.

BRADY
Okay, later.

Brady hangs up the phone and takes a breath. “Rats” by Sonic Youth plays into the next scene.

INT. ELLIE’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – FRIDAY NIGHT

Brady stands next to Vera in a crowded living room, both with beers in hand. Kyle, Gracie, Zack and Candace are all at the party as well.

VERA
So, are these people always this anti-social?

BRADY
What do you mean?

VERA
I mean, no conversations are really starting or anything.

BRADY
Oh, just you wait.

Zack and Candace walk over in front of Brady and Vera.

ZACK
Hey, what’s up man?

BRADY
Nothing, how’s it going?

ZACK
Uh, good, I guess.

BRADY
Well, cool.

VERA
Hi, I’m Vera, by the way.

BRADY
Oh yeah, uh guys, this is Vera. Vera, this is Candace and Zack.

ZACK
Hey.

CANDACE
Hello, nice to meet you.

VERA
You too.

ZACK
Well uh, I’m gonna go smoke a cigarette.

VERA
Ya know, I was gonna go do that too.

ZACK
Well, cool. I guess we’ll head outside then. Are you coming Candace or…?

CANDACE
Maybe, I’ll be out in a bit.

ZACK
Alright, cool.
(To Vera)
So what’s your major?

VERA
Undeclared.

ZACK
Nice. Indecision is good.

Zack and Vera walk out the front door as Brady and Candace stand quiet for a few seconds.

BRADY
Man, he’s getting good at that.

CANDACE
And you still joke about everything like it’s not a big deal.

BRADY
It isn’t a big deal. They’re just smoking cigarettes.

CANDACE
I didn’t mean that. I mean, this, us being here. It’s… weird, isn’t it?

BRADY
Sort of. I mean, I’m not sure where you’re going with all of this.

CANDACE
Yeah, I guess I don’t really know either.
(Beat)
So can I ask you something?

BRADY
Sure.

CANDACE
What happened to Bianca?

BRADY
Oh uh, ya know, that one didn’t really work out, but I found Vera in my Comm Media class, so I think I’ll be okay.

CANDACE
Is she a freshman?

BRADY
Why yes she is.

CANDACE
So what’s the deal now? You’re just picking up random girls from your classes and uh… Well rehab, I guess?

BRADY
Wow, you’re starting to sound like the jealous ex-girlfriend right now or something. What’s the deal there Candace?

CANDACE
I’m not jealous. I’m just wondering what you’re doing. I mean, this doesn’t seem like you.

BRADY
We don’t even know each other really. I mean, maybe I’ve been this way for awhile bow.

CANDACE
Whatever. There’s no point in making a scene out of this.

BRADY
Who’s making a scene? I…

Kyle walks over interrupting Brady.

KYLE
What’s up motha fucka?

BRADY
Nothing. What’s up with you?

KYLE
Nada. I just did a few shots. I’m gonna go from drunk to sloshed in about ten minutes or so.

CANDACE
Well that’s admirable Kyle.

KYLE
You know it. Where’s your dick of a boyfriend?

CANDACE
Outside with… what’s her name again Brady?

BRADY
Vera.

CANDACE
Oh yeah, that’s right. Man, I just remembered how bad I have to piss. I’ll be right back.

Candace walks off as Brady just shakes his head.

BRADY
Well looks like she’s blinking first.

KYLE
You gotta let that one go man. She’s confused enough as it is.

BRADY
What do you mean?

KYLE
Well, mostly everyone knows you’re a suicide case now.

BRADY
What are you talking about?

KYLE
I just had a colossal conversation with Ellie and Molly about whether or not you were okay.

BRADY
Did it sound like a pity party, or like “man he’s such a weirdo I kind of wanna fuck him now”?

KYLE
They think you’re unstable in a bad way to the point where they’re gonna probably steer clear for a little while.

BRADY
Well goddamnit. Looks like I’m gonna have to settle on Vera tonight.

KYLE
If Zack isn’t out there telling her right now?

BRADY
He wouldn’t do that to me. I mean, he may steal my girlfriend to the point where I’m suicidal, but he won’t tell my new one-night-stand that I’m a little fucked up.

KYLE
Yeah, I guess you’re right.

BRADY
But uh, do you think Candace told everyone here, like Molly and Ellie?

KYLE
Of course she fucking did. I mean, it’s all about her. Who wouldn’t tell that story? I mean, I would kill to have two chicks fighting over me to the point of suicide. That’d be bad ass.

BRADY
This is just fucked up. Why would she tell them?

KYLE
Because it’s shitty gossip, people love it. I mean, remember when Gracie gave Stan Gallucci road head, and he hit a speed bump and she ended up throwing up in his lap?

BRADY
Uh yeah, but… I mean, it’s not like I was in the backseat or something.

KYLE
No, I know, but what I’m saying is that she got over that pretty quickly. You’ll get over the fact that everyone knows you’re a suicide case. It’s not too difficult really.

BRADY
Ya know, I’m not really a suicide case anymore, though. I’m one of those other guys.

KYLE
Those guys that just fuck around a lot?

BRADY
Yeah, exactly.

KYLE
Well do you think you’re gonna get any from what’s her name tonight?

BRADY
Yeah, I’d say Vera has about an eighty-percent chance of putting out.

KYLE
Well that’s good. What if the other twenty happens?

BRADY
Then I’ll improvise.

Brady hits his beer off of Kyle’s and takes a sip. Kyle follows suit.

INT. BRADY’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – NIGHT

Brady and Vera lie down next to each other, Brady’s hand underneath the covers, moving back and forth while Vera gets off.

VERA
Keep going. Keep going. Faster. No, that’s too fast. Slow the fuck down. There ya go. That’s good. Yes, yes, yes!

Vera has an orgasm before pushing Brady’s hand away and rolling over. She starts to lightly sob as Brady just lies there.

BRADY
Uh shit… What’s the matter?

VERA
Nothing. I’m fine. Just go to sleep.

BRADY
I thought we were just getting warmed up.

Vera turns and looks at Brady.

VERA
No, it’s not like that Brady.

BRADY
So you just used my hand then?

VERA
Oh, don’t make it sound so shallow. Your hand’s a big deal.

Vera rolls over and shuts her eyes. Brady just lies there for a few seconds before rolling over in the opposite direction. “Returning to the Fold” by The Thermals plays through the next sequence.

INT. LARGE COLLEGE CLASSROOM – BACK ROW – MORNING

Brady sits in the back row, waiting for class to start as Vera walks in and sits down a row ahead of him. She starts talking to the guy sitting next to her.

EXT. COLLEGE CAMPUS – SIDEWALK – DAY, A FEW WEEKS LATER

Brady walks down the sidewalk with his headphones on. A few seconds pass before Candace catches up behind him and taps him on the shoulder. Brady turns around, taking his headphones.

CANDACE
Hey, uh wow, you don’t ever slow the fuck down, do you?

BRADY
No, I uh… Didn’t know I had to.

CANDACE
Listen uh… Are you coming to my birthday party on Saturday?

BRADY
Oh uh, I didn’t know you were having one.

CANDACE
Well I am, and we haven’t hung out for awhile, so you need to come.

BRADY
Uh yeah, well maybe, I don’t know. For some reason I think there might be something going on that day.

CANDACE
You’re full of shit. There’s never anything going on in your life.

BRADY
Yeah, well maybe I’ll find something.

CANDACE
C’mon, don’t be a dick. You can bring Vera or whoever. I don’t care.

BRADY
Vera and I are having some problems. Uh man, I gotta get to class, so I’ll probably see you on Saturday. It just really depends is all.

CANDACE
Well okay, see ya Brady.

Brady walks off down the sidewalk.

INT. BRADY’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – NIGHT

Brady stands in the middle of his room, waiting for Bianca to pick up on the other line. A few seconds pass before her voicemail picks up.

BIANCA (V.O.)
Hey this is Bianca, leave a message, do your thing, whatever.

Her voicemail beeps.

BRADY
Uh hey Bianca, this is Brady. Man, I feel like a shit asking you this, but I think I’m more or less out of options here. Candace’s birthday’s on Saturday and I need an excuse to see you. So, I guess call me back when you get this. Bye.

Brady closes his phone and sighs. “Chewin the Apple of Your Eye” by The Flaming Lips plays into the next scene.

INT. BRADY’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

Kyle and Gracie sit on the couch, smoking a joint. Brady walks in and sits down on the couch next to them, jumping in on the rotation.

BRADY
Well, I’m completely fucked.

GRACIE
Is there something we don’t know about here Brady?

BRADY
Candace’s party. I need a date for it, and I don’t see once coming up.

GRACIE
Ya know, this whole thing where you jut decide to take some random girl to whatever party you know she’s gonna be at, is a little weird.

BRADY
Do you have any other suggestions for how I should handle things Gracie?

KYLE
I think you should probably just kill yourself.

BRADY
Fuck off.

KYLE
I’m sorry. I just don’t see what the big deal is. You can always meet somebody there. I mean, I’m sure there’ll be tons of easy girls who aren’t worth it there.

BRADY
Yeah, but that’s different. I need to show up with someone she’s gonna get jealous over.

GRACIE
You’re beyond delusional at this point Brady.

BRADY
No, I’m not. You just don’t get it. It’s all a matter of how you play your cards.

GRACIE
Well why don’t you just not go. I mean, that’s the best advice I can give you.

BRADY
Well are you guys gonna go.

GRACIE
Most likely.

KYLE
It really all depends.

BRADY
Why, what else is going on?

KYLE
I was thinking about going to Connecticut for the weekend.

BRADY
Why, what’s there?

KYLE
Do you remember Maggie Horan?

BRADY
Uh yeah, I could’ve had sex with her in high school, now that I recall.

KYLE
Really? When was that?

BRADY
Night of the big Ferris household blast, she hit on me right after Roger Bowers pissed on the rug.

KYLE
Well why the fuck didn’t you?

BRADY
Hannah, remember?

KYLE
Oh yeah. Well in retrospect Brady, would you have done it if you had known what was going on?

BRADY
I don’t fucking know. The real question is why are you all of a sudden talking to Maggie Horan?

KYLE
I don’t know. She I.M.ed me one day, started babbling on about how she broke up with her boyfriend. I mostly just looked up porn for the duration of the conversation.

GRACIE
It’s sad that I live in this apartment.

BRADY
You have no idea.

KYLE
Anyway, if I drive out there to see her, do you wanna come with?

BRADY
What the fuck am I gonna do?

KYLE
I don’t know. She has a roommate, I’m sure we can probably find some good drugs to take. We’ll make a weekend out of it.

BRADY
Ya know, there are worse ideas.

GRACIE
You can’t be serious. It’s gonna turn to shit for you Brady. I mean, don’t you see where this inclination is going?

BRADY
Sort of, but I’m not sure if it’s worse than staying here.

KYLE
It definitely isn’t. I mean, do you honestly wanna deal with Candace and all her stupid drunken birthday crap on Saturday?

BRADY
Not really.

KYLE
So there ya go. We’re taking a quaint little road trip.

GRACIE
And you guys are just gonna ditch me here, to fend for myself?

KYLE
Do you honestly wanna drive three hours away to watch us have sex with naïve girls?

GRACIE
I guess not.

BRADY
So I haven’t even seen Maggie since we graduated. Did she get considerably hotter?

GRACIE
Probably just sluttier.

KYLE
Actually, she looks pretty good in facebook pictures. I think she got a boob job.

BRADY
Really?

KYLE
Oh yeah, I mean those suckers look homemade, I don’t think they’re a product of hormones.

BRADY
Well, I guess that’s good to know.

GRACIE
I really need to meet some new people.

KYLE
Yeah, we know Gracie. It’s about time you start bringing hot girls back to the apartment, for, ya know, whatever may occur, so we don’t have to drive to Connecticut for such things.

GRACIE
You’re one of the main reasons I never think to do that Kyle.

BRADY
Well what about for me?

GRACIE
You have enough social issues already Brady.

BRADY
Well alright, we’re definitely leaving this weekend.

KYLE
Fuckin’ A right.

“Smith & Jones Forever” by Silver Jews plays into the next scene.

INT. KYLE’S CAR – FRIDAY AFTERNOON

Kyle drives with Brady sitting up front, both pretty chill.

KYLE
So why didn’t you have sex with Maggie when you had the chance?

BRADY
Because I was holding out for Hannah, remember?

KYLE
Yeah, but I mean, after that. You found out about Zack and her before Maggie left the party. Ya still could’ve slept with her.

BRADY
Well I guess I sort of lost my motivation to try after that, plus my bed had already been used.

KYLE
Well do you think it’s weird at all that we’re driving out there so I can have sex with her?

BRADY
No, not really. I mean, this is where you’re at in your life right now.

KYLE
So are you saying I’m four years behind you?

BRADY
No man, not at all. I mean, she got a boob job and she’s talking to you online. That’s something. I mean, I don’t think I can ever see myself getting a girl with silicon enhancements. They’re just out of my league, ya know?

KYLE
Ya know, it is sort of horrible that we’re here right now, isn’t it?

BRADY
No man, this is fun. I mean, I’m pretty high on my way to somewhere different with no real expectations for the night. If anything, this is what I need.

KYLE
Well okay, cool. Glad we’re on the same page.

BRADY
Yeah, well we definitely are.

KYLE
Cool.
(Beat)
So if Maggie slept with all those guys in high school and then got a boob job like a year ago, how much action do you think she was getting in college before she started talking to me?

BRADY
Probably not too much. I mean, you said she had a boyfriend.

KYLE
Well yeah, but… that was before the boob job.

BRADY
Is there some kind of advice you’re looking for here Kyle?

KYLE
No, not really. Just trying to get some bearings.

BRADY
Well, in any case, I’d double-bag it.

KYLE
Oh yeah, totally already planning on it.

BRADY
Well, wonderful…

KYLE
So did I tell you about what I got for tonight?

BRADY
Yeah, those headies we smoked. They were solid.

KYLE
No, I meant what else I got.

BRADY
What else did you get?

Brady gives Kyle a look.

INT. MAGGIE’S SMALL COLLEGE APARTMENT IN CONNECTICUT – LIVING ROOM - EARLY NIGHT

Brady, Kyle, Maggie and her roommate PHYLLIS WIGGINS sit around the smoke-filled living room. Phyllis is 20, average height with shorter red hair. She’s somewhat closed off and a little uptight.

MAGGIE
So that’s the game plan, we’re just gonna eat these mushrooms?

KYLE
Well yeah, unless you can think of something better to do.

MAGGIE
Well not really. I haven’t tripped since last semester, so I suppose I’m up for it.

KYLE
Awesome.

PHYLLIS
I don’t know if I’m gonna do it.

MAGGIE
Oh C’mon Phyllis, it’ll open your mind. I mean, you won’t think the same way after it.

PHYLLIS
Well yeah, I know. I’m not sure if I’m ready to be a vegetable yet.

BRADY
It’s college. You’re not cool until you’re a vegetable.

Phyllis kind of smiles and takes a breath.

PHYLLIS
Alright fine. Are we gonna eat them now?

KYLE
Sounds like as good of a time as any. Ladies, gentlemen.

Kyle hands everybody an individual plastic bag of mushrooms, as everybody eat them in quick succession. They then all sit quietly for a few seconds. “Bros” by Panda Bear plays through the next sequence of scenes.

No comments: