Monday, January 28, 2008

Only Sometimes: Last 25 Minutes

INT. MAGGIE’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

Brady and Kyle sit on the couch, both flipping through art books, while Phyllis lies on the floor, starring up at the ceiling and Maggie flips through record covers. The mushrooms have subtly kicked in.

BRADY
Man, it’s like they always know what they’re doing. It just turns into something that they can’t control. I mean, every fucking painting has different connotations to it. Some artists just painted to get laid. I mean, that was it, just naked chicks, for the soul purpose of getting laid, and then in fucking “Titanic” they try to make their artist hero the same way. What a bunch of bullshit? Why did I see that movie twice in theaters?

KYLE
Because we were young and wanted to see boobs.

BRADY
Oh yeah, that’s it. Why didn’t we want to become artists after that?

KYLE
I don’t know.

MAGGIE
I saw that movie five times in theaters.

KYLE
That’s fifteen hours of your life down the drain Maggie.

PHYLLIS
I saw it seven times.

KYLE
Fucking sick. How did we consume shit like that as if it was Lucky Charms for breakfast or something?

BRADY
Yeah, why didn’t they do a cross-promotional campaign with cereals. They would’ve made tons of money with little miniature Jack and Rose McDonald’s toys.

MAGGIE
I can’t believe we’re having this conversation right now. Were you two this fucking retarded in high school?

BRADY
No, I sort of had to grow into it Maggie, like you did with your implants.

Maggie stands up in the middle of the living room.

MAGGIE
These aren’t implants. They just sort of got bigger my freshman year here.

KYLE
Just like that, huh?

MAGGIE
Yeah, just like that.

BRADY
So your freshman fifteen went straight to your boobs? Why hasn’t there been a lifetime movie about that yet?

MAGGIE
I don’t know. I mean, I would watch it on a Sunday, and that means it’s pretty sad.

KYLE
Definitely.

PHYLLIS
So is the ceiling supposed to be sending me hidden messages?

Brady, Kyle and Maggie all start to laugh.

PHYLLIS
I’m serious here, guys.

MAGGIE
Yeah, yeah, we know.

BRADY
So have you guys ever stopped to think about how great it would be to go back to high school, but with everything you know now.

KYLE
Fuck high school man. I’d go back to Kindergarten, write some incredible short story in crayon and get huge.

BRADY
Yeah, see, I wouldn’t blow my cover like that. I’d just keep it cool, start picking out which girls to seduce in sixth grade and so on.

MAGGIE
Well that’s sort of fucked up Brady.

BRADY
I know, my thoughts are wandering mindlessly.

KYLE
I would have done a lot more drugs when I was younger.

BRADY
What, like trip in school?

KYLE
Yeah right, I’d shit myself.

MAGGIE
Ditto.

KYLE
Maybe before I saw Episode 1, though.

BRADY
Well that works. It would’ve been better probably then.

MAGGIE
We need to get out of this house. I mean, I’m not sure how much more Star Wars conversation I can handle.

BRADY
We haven’t even gotten rolling yet.

MAGGIE
Oh shit man. I just remembered, fucking rave party over at Ajay’s.

PHYLLIS
I don’t wanna go there. I don’t wanna leave this spot, at least not until it all stops moving around me.

KYLE
I’m up for the rave party.

BRADY
Yeah, me too.

PHYLLIS
(Sitting up)
Well you guys can’t leave me here.

BRADY
Phyllis, this is like we’re in the woods and the group’s deciding to move on. It’s just how society works.

PHYLLIS
Fuck…

BRADY
Exactly.

“Bros” continues into the next scene.

EXT. COLLEGE SIDEWALK – NIGHT

Brady, Kyle, Maggie and Phyllis all walk down the sidewalk, tripping face.

BRADY
Ya know, I think I’d be more freaked out if I knew where we were going.

KYLE
I know, me too. It’s kind of nice exploring like this, though. I feel like I’m in a fucking video game or something.

MAGGIE
Jesus, you guys need to get out more.

BRADY
Yeah, tell me about it.

PHYLLIS
This may be the worst walk I’ve ever taken in my entire life. Are all the things that are happening supposed to be happening right now?

BRADY
I’m not sure what that questions means at this very instant Phyllis.

MAGGIE
It’s better just to, ya know, not ask about anything at all.

PHYLLIS
Right, well I think that’s gonna be sort of difficult Maggie.

KYLE
Not when we get to the party. I mean, we won’t be able to hear ya then anyway.

PHYLLIS
Yeah, which is yet another reason why I don’t wanna be walking there right now.

BRADY
I can’t take this negative vibe right now. It’s like starting to consume me.

PHYLLIS
Well fucking deal with it Brady.

BRADY
See what I’m talking about.

KYLE
It’ll be fine once we get there.

MAGGIE
Exactly.

BRADY
I feel as if people have been telling me that things are going to be fine for my entire life.

KYLE
Well that’s because they have been Brady.

BRADY
I know.

“Bros” keeps playing.

INT. AJAY’S HOUSE – BASEMENT – NIGHT

Brady, Kyle, Maggie and Phyllis all stand dancing, clumped into a basement with a bunch of random people. Strobe lights go off in the background along with everybody having glow sticks.

A few seconds pass before Phyllis just wigs out and runs off out of the basement. Brady looks over at Kyle and Maggie, only to find them making-out. He sighs and walks off out of the basement.

EXT. AJAY’S BACKYARD – SIDE OF THE HOUSE – NIGHT

Brady walks over on the side of the house to find Phyllis sitting on the ground with her head on her knees.

BRADY
Jesus, you alright?

PHYLLIS
I’m fine. I just needed to breathe.

BRADY
You look like you freaked out back there.

PHYLLIS
Isn’t that normal Brady?

Phyllis stands up from the ground.

BRADY
No, I don’t think it is.

PHYLLIS
Well maybe not for you or Kyle or Maggie. I mean, you guys think all of this is normal behavior. You think this is what people do in college.

BRADY
This is what people do in college, or in life really. I mean, eventually you get to the point where you’re just so fucking bored, and you’re just so fucking numb to everything, that you just decide that this is the only way to handle this big elaborate bubble.

PHYLLIS
Are you always this poetic?

BRADY
Only sometimes.

PHYLLIS
Well, alright.

BRADY
It’ll all wear off eventually, ya know?

PHYLLIS
What, this feeling of complete hysteria?

BRADY
No, just the drugs.

PHYLLIS
Oh, well I guess that’s too bad.

BRADY
Yes it is.

PHYLLIS
So did Maggie and Kyle send you out here to handle this?

BRADY
No, they were making-out. So I just decided to fall on the grenade without discussing anything with anybody first.

PHYLLIS
You think I’m lame, don’t you?

BRADY
Well yeah, but I’m uncool so it balances out.

PHYLLIS
I guess so.

Brady and Phyllis are quiet for moment, before she leans in and kisses him. Brady and Phyllis start to make out for a few seconds, only to have Phyllis quickly stop and run off through the yard as a three cop cars park on the street in front of the house with their lights on.

BRADY
What the fuck…?

Brady looks over at the cars and then quickly dashes off in another direction of the backyard.

EXT. RANDOM BACKYARDS OF COLLEGE TOWN – NIGHT

Brady hops through various backyards as he can hear the sounds of other potentially fucked-up party people exiting the house.

EXT. COLLEGE SIDEWALK – NIGHT

Brady runs out onto the sidewalk and starts to catch his breath. A few seconds pass before he sees a cop car drive by on another street. Brady starts to walk at a moderate pace down the street.

EXT. COLLEGE BEER DISTRIBUTOR – NIGHT

Hannah Craig walks out of a beer distributor carrying a twelve pack. She slowly walks towards the sidewalk. Brady rushes past, speed walking. Hannah takes a second look and then steps onto the sidewalk.

HANNAH
Brady?

Brady stops and turns back to Hannah. He takes a breath and walks over in front of her.

BRADY
Hey, Hannah Craig, what a surprise.

HANNAH
Yeah really. It’s been like four years.

BRADY
Sure has.

HANNAH
So what are you doing here?

BRADY
Oh uh, ya know, just going for a walk.

HANNAH
Do you live here, in town, I mean?

BRADY
No, uh, I’m visiting. Kyle wanted to hang out with Maggie Horan, she goes here, and so we drove up.

HANNAH
Oh, well where are those guys?

BRADY
Either making-out or in a cop car. Possibly both.

HANNAH
I’m having trouble following here.

BRADY
It’s not really a big deal. We were at a party. Cops busted it, I think.

HANNAH
Was it Ajay’s rave?

BRADY
Yeah, how’d you know?

HANNAH
That’s where I was headed.

BRADY
Oh well, you may not want to now.

HANNAH
Yeah, I guess not.
(Beat)
But uh, what are you doing?

BRADY
Me, I uh… I don’t know. I guess I was just trying to walk around in circles and look for Maggie’s apartment.

HANNAH
Well, I don’t know where she lives.

BRADY
I figured.

HANNAH
But if you want, you can help me drink this beer.

BRADY
Where at?

HANNAH
I guess my apartment.

BRADY
You’re inviting me over, just like that, huh?

HANNAH
Yeah, I mean, somehow I have a feeling you’re still pretty harmless, right?

BRADY
Yeah, even more so now. I think I’ve officially lost my edge.

HANNAH
Well that’s kind of a drag Brady.

BRADY
Yeah, I know.

HANNAH
So are you up for hanging out?

BRADY
Yeah, sure. Uh… I can carry that beer too.

HANNAH
Cool. Knock yourself out.

Hannah hands Brady the case of beer as both of them start to walk down the sidewalk. “Bros” fades into “Pink Bullets” by The Shins.

INT. HANNAH’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

Brady sits on the couch next to Hannah, sipping a beer and flipping through a magazine.

BRADY
So you’re apartment’s pretty big for just one person.

HANNAH
Well Ross just moved in with his friend Greg.

BRADY
You used to live with Ross?

HANNAH
Yeah, I used to date Ross too.

BRADY
Yeah, I know, but I figured that would’ve ended by the time college spun around.

HANNAH
It did end, a bunch of times actually. I don’t know. We were like a bad habit for each other.

BRADY
Yeah, I know what you mean.

HANNAH
So you didn’t say you had a girlfriend or whatever, did you?

BRADY
Uh no, I didn’t. I have girls. They’re just not girlfriends.

HANNAH
Why’s that?

BRADY
I don’t know. I suppose because I’m sort of unstable at this point in my life.

HANNAH
Who isn’t unstable?

BRADY
Very true.

Brady sets the magazine down on the table.

BRADY
So, I grew out of the crush I had on you in high school about a year or so ago.

HANNAH
Well that’s good. Wouldn’t wanna just bring that up at random and look like an idiot, now would I?

BRADY
Probably not, no.

HANNAH
Ya know, I knew you did. I just… Well I suppose I was sort of a bitch in high school. I didn’t really care about anything, ya know?

BRADY
Yeah, well do you care about much of anything now?

HANNAH
Not really. I don’t know. I guess it’s give and take.

BRADY
Yeah, I suppose.

HANNAH
I don’t think we would’ve really worked out back then, or now for that matter really.

BRADY
Why do you say that?

HANNAH
I don’t know. I just think I’m past the point where I can date somebody I already know. I need to venture out, meet new people.

BRADY
You don’t know me that well. I mean, cliché as it sounds, people change in four years and besides who said I wanted to date you? I just need a place to pass the time, wait for this eventual trip to stop.

HANNAH
You ate mushrooms tonight?

BRADY
Yeah, I did.

HANNAH
Why?

BRADY
I don’t know. I guess I needed to remind myself that I’m not just running on fumes.

HANNAH
What does that even mean?

BRADY
Just ya know, the fucking routine, the whole getting used to it thing. If you hang out with the same people all the time, doing the exact same thing or at least a variation of the same thing, eventually it’ll get to you, but tonight’s different. I mean, I came here with no real expectations, and we ran into each other, and now I’m here sort of venting on the whole fact that I think I may be a completely different person now.

HANNAH
Well okay. Ya know, I’m sorry I brought it up. I mean, actually you brought it up, so what’s the deal there Brady?

BRADY
I guess I was just making conversation.

HANNAH
Right… Okay, well let’s talk about something else.

BRADY
Yeah, okay… Um… Actually, what’s wrong with the people you know? I mean, I guess sometimes you probably hate them, but all and all you can’t really escape, ya know?

HANNAH
Yeah, I know. That’s the really depressing part about it Brady.

BRADY
I guess so.

HANNAH
That party tonight, though. That was like my release from captivity. I was planning on meeting new people, reinventing myself, whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

BRADY
You would’ve just ended up running into me anyway.

HANNAH
Yeah, but it would’ve been easier to ignore you in the thick of it all.

BRADY
Yeah, I guess that’s true.

HANNAH
I’m just kidding.

BRADY
Oh, alright.

HANNAH
So are you okay? You don’t really seem like you used to.

BRADY
How did I used to seem Hannah?

HANNAH
I don’t know. Optimistic.

BRADY
I think optimism fades with time.

HANNAH
So I’m slowly learning.

Brady and Hannah both take sips of their beers in unison and then breathe.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. HANNAH’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – LATE NIGHT

Brady wakes up in the middle of the night in Hannah’s bed, without any of his clothes on. Hannah is nowhere in sight as Brady; half-asleep walks out of the room.

INT. HANNAH’S APARTMENT – BATHROOM – NIGHT

Brady walks over to the closed bathroom door and knocks on it.

BRADY
Hannah? You in there?

After no answer, Brady opens the door to find Hannah, passed out on the floor, a bunch of random pill containers spread out by the kitchen sink.

BRADY
Oh fuck…

Brady rushes into the bathroom and shuts the door behind him as “Off the Rails” by The Notwist plays through the next few scenes.

INT. AMBULANCE – LATE NIGHT

Brady sits in the front of the ambulance, hearing sounds of the paramedics working on Hannah in the back.

INT. LOCAL HOSPITAL – WAITING ROOM – MORNING

Brady sits in the hospital waiting room, looking more than a little exhausted. A few seconds pass before ROSS SNYDER walks into the waiting room and over in front of him. Ross is 22 and the typical perfect boyfriend despite all the previous complications.

ROSS
Where is she?

BRADY
Room 202.

ROSS
Thanks Brady.

BRADY
Yeah, sure thing Ross.

Ross rushes out of the waiting room as Brady takes a breath, stands up and walks out of the waiting room.

EXT. LOCAL HOSPITAL – PARKING LOT – DAWN

The sun is just coming up as Brady walks through the parking lot with his phone to his ear. After a few seconds, Kyle picks up on the other line, sounding like shit.

KYLE (V.O.)
Hello?

BRADY
You still alive?

KYLE (V.O.)
Just barely. Where are you?

BRADY
The hospital.

KYLE (V.O.)
You freak out or something?

BRADY
I wish my life was that simple.

KYLE (V.O.)
I guess we all do.

BRADY
Anyway, I think I wanna drive back, go to Candace’s party tonight.

KYLE (V.O.)
Well alright, that’s fine. Do you need me to pick you up?

BRADY
Yeah, I think so. I have no idea where I am.

KYLE (V.O.)
Alright, give me about twenty minutes.

BRADY
Sounds good.

Brady closes his phone as “Off the Rails” keeps playing.

INT. KYLE’S CAR – DAY

Kyle drives down the highway with Brady sitting up front.

KYLE
So then we both kind of freaked out, went our separate ways and I ended up sleeping in Ajay’s basement.

BRADY
I could’ve sworn that party got busted.

KYLE
You must’ve been seeing shit.

BRADY
Phyllis ran off before I did.

KYLE
Well she was beyond far-gone anyway.

BRADY
I guess that’s true.

KYLE
But whatever, I’m sure she made it back okay. What the fuck happened to you, or are we not discussing the fact that I just picked you up at the hospital?

BRADY
It would just sound made up if I told you the truth.

KYLE
So this is gonna be one of those things we don’t mention again?

BRADY
Yeah, I think so. Just like all those other weekends.

KYLE
Well, okay.
(Beat)
So do we wanna get more stuff for tonight?

BRADY
Don’t think so. I mean, if you want to, then go ahead. I think life would probably easier the other way.

KYLE
So you’re not gonna take anything?

BRADY
No, I’ll develop the slow stoney-beer buzz, but no psychedelics tonight.

KYLE
Alright, that works. Of course, are you sure about this party? I mean, it’s just gonna make you extremely depressed or whatever.

BRADY
Yeah, I know. I think I’m okay with that now, though.

KYLE
Well, cool.
(Beat)
So this was fucking long ass drive and neither one of us got laid.

BRADY
Yeah, it’s a real bummer, huh?

KYLE
Definitely.

Kyle keeps driving.

INT. CANDACE’S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

Brady, Kyle and Gracie stand in the one corner with beers. Candace stands on the other side of the room, alone, a mess of partygoers between them. “The Source” by Built to Spill plays in the background.

GRACIE
So I didn’t think we’d end up here tonight.

BRADY
Yeah, well it could be worse, I guess.

GRACIE
Yeah, I mean, at least we’re not alone.

KYLE
What do you guys think Zack’s excuse is gonna be?

BRADY
It doesn’t matter.

KYLE
Yeah, you’re right.

GRACIE
Well are you gonna go talk to her?

BRADY
What’s the point? We’re all fucked anyway, remember?

Brady walks out of the living room, downing the rest of his beer.

EXT. CANDACE’S FRONT PORCH – NIGHT

Brady walks out onto the front porch, a few scattered smokers around. A few seconds pass before Candace walks out next to him and lights a cigarette for herself.

CANDACE
Why do you always hang out with smokers if you don’t smoke?

BRADY
I don’t know. I guess I like to be that guy just a little closer to death.

CANDACE
Right…

BRADY
So how’s twenty feel?

CANDACE
Worse than nineteen.

BRADY
Well you’ll get that from time to time.

CANDACE
Yeah, I know. I mean, that’s what everyone told me.

BRADY
Well, me too.

CANDACE
So, I’m a horrible person, aren’t I?

BRADY
What do you mean?

CANDACE
I mean, I make bad decisions.

BRADY
What’s your point?

CANDACE
Zack’s a bad decision.

BRADY
Oh well yeah, no duh.

CANDACE
You don’t really care much anymore, do you?

BRADY
No, I don’t think so. I mean, truth be told I thought it’d be like before, ya know, where I tried to talk myself out of being in love with you, but I never could.

CANDACE
And now it’s just easier, right?

BRADY
Yeah, I think so. I mean, when push comes to shove, we all kind of wanna kill ourselves. It’s just really fucking dumb to do it over a girl. I mean, what kind of a fucking cliché, am I?

CANDACE
The kind that at least showed up to my party.

BRADY
Oh, well there’s an explanation for that.

CANDACE
What is it?

BRADY
Another night of tripping on mushrooms, exploring some uncharted territory, sleeping with my high school crush, and then having to go with her in the ambulance before she gets her stomach pumped, just really didn’t appeal to me. It’s nicer here, ya know? With people who are as reliably dull as you are Candace.

CANDACE
Well thanks for that Brady.

BRADY
Sure thing.

Brady grabs the cigarette out of Candace’s mouth and throws it into the yard.

BRADY
What the fuck…?

CANDACE
You’ll kill yourself smoking those things.

Brady walks back into the house, leaving Candace to her thoughts. “Closing Time” by Semisonic plays through the next sequence.

INT. CANDACE’S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

Brady walks through the living room with a beer in his hand. Kyle and Gracie bullshit as normal as Brady takes his place next to them.

REVERSE ANGLE as Brady sees Bianca walk into the house, carrying a six pack of beer. Surprises, Brady walks over right in front of her.

BRADY
I don’t get it.

BIANCA
I got your message. I figured it’d work better as a surprise.

BRADY
I didn’t tell you where the party was.

BIANCA
I know, your facebook did.

BRADY
You’re a pretty big fucking stalker, ya know that?

BIANCA
Yeah, I know. Yet another problem we didn’t discuss nearly enough in group.

BRADY
So what does this mean exactly?

BIANCA
It means the inevitable pull of boredom has hit hard yet again.

BRADY
Well I think I can live with that.

BIANCA
Cool. Let’s get fucked up.

BRADY
(Holding up his beer)
Four steps ahead of you.

Bianca takes a beer out of the six pack and walks into the living room. Brady follows closely behind as “Closing Time” kicks in.

FADE OUT

THE END

No comments: